I am an Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist MBACP (Accred). of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and I work by their code of ethics and professional standards of practice. I am fully insured with counselling liability insurance and I attend regular monthly supervision with a qualified counselling supervisor to ensure my work is ethical, safe and professional.
Training & Qualifications
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling, Counselling Tutor
- Certificate in Counselling Children and Young People, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.*
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling (Person-Centred) University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.*
- Higher National Certificate in Counselling (Integrative) Anniesland College, Glasgow.
- Professional Development Award in Addiction Counselling, Anniesland College, Glasgow.
- Counselling Skills, Motherwell College, Motherwell.
- Introduction to Counselling, Motherwell College, Motherwell.
*The Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling is accredited by The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
*The Certificate in Counselling Children & Young People is validated by Counselling and Psychotherapy in Scotland (COSCA).
As part of my ongoing continued professional development (CPD) I have completed the following training:
- Scotland’s Mental Health First Aid (SMHFA) course
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASSIST)
- Psychosocial Interventions for Anxiety Management
- Psychosocial Interventions for Anger Management
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) A Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Approach (CBT)
- Understanding Perinatal Depression
- Safeguarding Training
- Channel General Awareness module
- Bowlby’s Attachment Theory and Lifelong Relationships
- Working with the Impact of Severe Trauma
- Counselling Couples and Families: A Person-Centred Approach
- SCOTACS Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Toolkit
- How to do Counselling Online: A Coronavirus Primer
- How to Stop Nightmares
- Working with bereavement and complex grief
- Psychosomatics, MUS, PPS (Persistent Physical Symptoms)
- Safeguarding and managing risk through digital media
- Supervising via digital media through times of crisis
I have been working with clients for 8 years offering counselling and therapeutic support. Over this time I have gained experience in a wide range of settings including a rural charity community project for vulnerable adults, a young person’s project, a GP practice, a specialist addiction service, a charity supporting women experiencing domestic abuse, an employee assistance programme (EAP) and within a school counselling service counselling primary aged children.
I currently work part time as an in-house GP Practice Therapeutic Counsellor counselling adults and young people and within my own private practice based in Biggar, Lanarkshire offering face to face counselling. I work with clients based all over the UK via online and telephone counselling.
I have experience working with a wide range of issues and emotional difficulties. I am particularly experienced in supporting clients who have experienced difficult childhoods or upsetting events, those experiencing relationship difficulties and those who feel unfulfilled or unsatisfied with themselves or their lives.
I have an awareness and respect of cultural diversity and I welcome clients from the LGBTQIA communities.